Monday, January 28, 2013

What do you mean "Look in the dog?"

Snatch. (2000)
Another Guy Ritchie movie which at face value sounds remarkably similar to Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.  I've heard uniformly great things about this, so looking forward to it.  Turns out to be a very fun movie, more polished than Lock, Stock, and with some wonderfully quirky characters.  Definitely ramped up the blood and particularly impressive considering how many people die off scene.  Would certainly cross over into buckets-o-blood territory if not for that.  Still handled in a nice cartoon-meets-reality manner though and often used to great comedic effect.  Equally impressive f*bomb dropping here, 163 times according to IMDB, so I may have to wait a tad longer before the kids get to see this one.  I do Quite like Guy's style again and I'll need to go back and re-watch the Sherlock Holmes movies soon with these two early films of his in mind. 

Statham is again great here and really nailing the deadpan humor bit.  He makes a wonderful straight man to all the insanity going on around him, yet still has this great sardonic edge.  He's again oozing charisma here although understandably acting a bit more panicked for most of the movie.  Not sure if he's just being himself or if he actually has some decent acting chops this early on in his career, but his open and direct manner through both of these films has been damned impressive.  Still anxious to see him kicking someone in the face while shooting someone else in the knees, but I'll try to be patient. 

Brad Pitt.  I tend to run very hot/cold with him depending on the role.  With Daniel Day-Lewis or Gary Oldman, I can almost forget who the actor is, but with Brad I all to often just see Brad Pitt pretending to be someone.  Thankfully he's completely awesome here and while I do still see mostly Brad, his accent and handling of the "gyspy" speech is fantastic.  Also glad to see Vinnie again and was very amused that they introduce his character bashing someone's head in with a car door just like he did in Lock, Stock.  I may have to look up some of Vinnie's other movies, he's wonderfully charismatic and pretty damn funny in every scene.  His reactions when trying to take down Boris the Bullet-Dodger are priceless and his timing is impeccable.

Badassery Quotient - 6
I'll bump it up one over Lock, Stock just due to his repeatedly refusing to back down from the heavy, but still nada going on action-wise for Statham himself.  Certainly in the thick of it and full props for his awesome screen presence.

Rewatchability - Yes please
Excellent film and another I'd be happy to come back to again.  I think this one will grow on me over time and certainly could become a very quotable one.  Between the two, I think I may have enjoyed Lock, Stock a little more.  The main characters in Lock, Stock are in so completely over their head and naive that it makes the contrast to the nastiness of everyone else all the better.  Not to take anything away from Snatch though.  Damned fun.

Next up: Ghosts of Mars, a very rare beast:  A Carpenter film I've not seen!   Unfortunately, it looks like complete crap.  Carpenter has surprised me before, so hopefully there will at least be some good moments here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment